Back to photo list

Saint Catherine's Newry - THE CHURCH

Saint Catherine's Newry - THE CHURCH
The picture above is taken automatically from flickr.com, if there is something related to the picture please visit and contact flickr.com
ST. CATHERINE'S, NEWRY

IN March, 1871, three fathers and a laybrother came to make a foundation in Newry, on the invitation of Dr. John Pius Leahy, OP., Bishop of Dromore, who offered them temporarily a church and residence. The church they ministered in at first was what is known as the " Old Chapel," situated on the outskirts of the town, a chapel which in penal times had been the only place of worship for the Catholics of Newry before the building of the present cathedral.

The fathers resided for the first three months in a house in Hydemarket, of which the bishop supplied the furniture and paid the rent. They then removed to a house near the Old Chapel, called the " Hermitage," which the bishop fitted up for their use. After some time, they took up their residence in Queen Street, near the site of the new church, which, with the encouragement of the bishop and people, they commenced to build, the foundation stone being laid about fifteen months after their arrival in Newry.

The church was dedicated and opened for divine worship by Dr. Leahy, on Sunday, Oct. 17, 1875. It is one of the most beautiful churches in Ireland. Dr. O'Callaghan, O.P., now bishop of Cork, one of the first members of the Newry community, devoted himself zealously to the task of collecting the necessary funds for building and even paid a visit to America for this purpose.

The convent was built mainly through the exertions of Dr. Vincent Flood, O.P., now archbishop of Port-of-Spain, Trinidad, and was occupied by the fathers in 1882. The church is very complete in its appointments, and the rich marble High Altar, the Rosary Altar and the organ are all gifts by the Misses Quinn, of Queen Street, great benefactors of this community.
Date: 2010-07-13 05:23:24



dominican church priory ireland newry northern saint catherine's irish catholic churches mosaic stained glass sculpture irish dominicans irish priories dominican priories in ireland history of the irish dominicans dominican houses the irish dominicans domincans.ie dominicanfriars.ie dominicans in ireland dominican history history of the dominicans irish churches irish ruins ruins ireland order preachers religious communities irish history art best bestimages cool day √Čire facebook fergal ferghalj gaeilge high igdaily images instadaily instago instagood instagram instagramers instamood jennings linkedin nofilter photo photography photooftheday pic picoftheday pinterest pintergy pretty res resolution sighseeing tourism tourist twitter visiting

Visit : GiantChess.com

Comments

No comment found!

Members of Indonesia-Product.com | Partnered with GiantChess.com
Powered by IndonesiaCommerce.com | Promoted by IndonesiaWebPromotion.com


Visit Archipelago Country, A Tropical Paradise In The World : EastJava.com and Indonesia-Tourism.com